Saturday, July 7, 2007

Dangerous Prayer

I found these quotes from The Anchoress.

Once conform, once do what others do because they do it, and a kind of lethargy steals over all the finer senses of the soul.
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
- Mother Theresa of Calcutta

There is just one life for each of us: our own.
- Euripides

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
- e.e. cummings

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
- Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905

How much easier is self-sacrifice than self-realization.
- Eric Hoffer

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise.
- Johann von Goethe

"One of the most dangerous prayers to make, in a world full of dangerous prayers: Lord, help me to be what you have made me to be. Lord, help me to be myself, in all the vulnerability that comes with authenticity." - The Anchoress

2 comments:

kddub said...

Authenticity truly is vulnerable isn't it. It's a fear of rejection. If someone else has done something that is so widely accepted, it's much safer to hop on, and claim it as your own. but truly living out who we truly are, being honest with even yourself, is a rarity. I think the world would be a lot more interesting if people were who they were. The people that I tend to be the most comfortable around are those people that are just themselves, and I don't agree with all they say, do, think etc... but I enjoy them, and am able to relax into myself around them.

It's funny too, because I think that I am just starting to realize the beauty of being honest with God, that he gets it, he knows me, and it's much easier for him to help me, when I let go of my quest for perfection and allow him to work through my flaws.

I love those quotes

FancyPants said...

Well said, KD.