Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Chorus Line

A Chorus Line is a musical about a Broadway audition. Specifically an audition for the chorus of a Broadway musical. The show uses a montage technique to glance into the lives of about 16 auditionees, each person based off of a real live actor/dancer from the 70's, since the show was written in the 70's. Due to its innovative story telling approach and rockin' 70's choreography, A Chorus Line was a huge hit at the time. The revival, however, has suffered poor reviews, and it's leaving Broadway at the end of August, I believe.

At Jenny Wiley, I was supposed to be a cut dancer in Chorus Line. That means I was supposed to be in the beginning "audition" sequence, dance the routine, and get cut. But the girl playing Diana Morales was also a featured dancer in Wizard of Oz. At the end of the first week of Chorus Line rehearsals, which was also the first week of Wizard shows, she came down from a lift in Wizard and in doing so, tore her ACL, which is basically a screwed up knee (known to end careers) the very same injury that happens to the character, Paul, in the story line of A Chorus Line. Interestingly enough, the accident happened in real life to her the same day she rehearsed the pretend scene in A Chorus Line.

Long story short, I was swinging about four roles in the show, which is a fancy way of saying I was supposed to be learning all four parts in case something happened... Obviously it did. I stepped into the Morales role, having to learn it in about two days, and then went straight into designer runs and techs. And it was a blast. I never thought I'd be playing this Latino spitfire from the Bronx who can dance her hynie off, but I'm thankful for the opportunity. Morales sings the tune "Nothing," and the well-known "What I Did for Love." Some see her as the heart and soul of the show...such an uplifting, energizing, positive character. I loved her.

So here we are, dancing our hynies off.
















6 comments:

Roy said...

Glad to have you back blogging. Congratulations on accomplishing a whole lot in the past couple of months.

Chaotic Hammer said...

The complexity and intricacy of the choreography on this one was spectacular.

And I remember Nanx and I looking at each other when you started into your lines, amazed at how much you sounded like a genuine Bronx Latina. And your vocals were powerful and precise.

We really were blown away. Great job!

Popcorn said...

Welcome back Amber. I missed you. You must have danced off more than just your fanny. What shape you must be in after all that dancin'.

sharpstowninthecity said...

Yay!!! The Wards are back!!! wooey woo. I loved reading about Chorus Line! I checked your blog often this summer...didn't know about the lack of internet! You got to play Diana...that is so amazing!!! I always loved her best. I hope you find video clips. Can't wait to see you...you've truly been missed!

Anonymous said...

Nothing is the best song in the show, hands down. Good for you!!

FancyPants said...

Thanks guys - Glad to be back.