Monday, September 10, 2007

After One Week....

This city is like an abusive boyfriend. (Note I didn't say abusive husband lest you fear for my safety in Seth's care. All is well and good in the Ward Hobbit Hole) But really, when it's bad it can be really stinkin' harsh. Take, for instance, sitting on a hot day in a restaurant with no air conditioning. Or blisters the size of Texas on your feet. Or sitting in an audition room for 5 hours just waiting to get seen so you can sing for 1 minute for a man who's already heard 200 good singers in the 5 hours you waited. Or the cazillion steps climbed in a day's excursion. Fitting two lives into 250 square feet.

But when it's good, it's so good that the bad is readily forgiven, maybe too quickly forgiven? It's the walk in Central Park on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. It's Cafe Lalo down the street with the most amazing chocolate mousse cake. It's not worrying about the chocolate mousse cake because of the cazillion steps. It's sitting in a Sunday night church service and feeling that you belong completely. It's the one minute of singing after the five hours of waiting. It's coming home to the most cozy 250 square feet imaginable. The satisfaction of conquering, of overcoming, all of the bad that one day could muster.

So I take it back. It's not like an abusive boyfriend at all. It's real, soul-searching, soul-testing life, and it's worth living.

11 comments:

Douglas said...

Did I read 250 ft^2? Wow. That sounds more like a monks cell than an apartment. Can you fit a stove/oven/bathroom/fridge in there somewhere?

MB

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seth Ward said...

Sure can buddy! And we've go the pics to prove it. New ones at that!

Besides we would happily consider ourselves to be married monks. That's monks with benifits.

The Secret Life of Kat said...

Sounds fun - except for the no airconditioning part...

I hope you'll post some of those pictures.

Douglas said...

married monks? Isn't that an oxymoron?

If you have pictures, I would be interested in seeing how a stove, oven, fridge and bathroom can fit in 250 ft^2. I would assume you don't have a whirlpool tub.

MB

FancyPants said...

Stove, oven, fridge, bathroom, AND dishwasher.

Oh yeah. A dishwasher.

This is a luxury in NYC and our little hobbit hole is a luxurious place, let me tell ya. Just luxurious in a small way. No whirlpool tub, but a very nice sized shower that is also a tub, and it has those big stone tiles like they had where we honeymooned. It's the best shower I've ever had! One of my favorite parts about the place.

I really wanna show you guys the pictures, but shouldn't I feel funny about that? Posting pictures of the inside of my place online? But, it's not like anyone wants to steal the 80 dollar wardrobe from Ikea that we assembled ourselves, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Narci D said...

Hi, Amber! It's Narci from Plano SHS. How much fun! I started on one person's myspace page and have clicked my way through to find a bunch of old friends! It sounds like you are off on a wonderful adventure! Good Luck in NYC--one of my favorite places!

kddub said...

wow, that sounds like an amazing and wonderful adventure! I'm living through you guys! (maybe my alter ego can sing, and wants all that... or something, or maybe I am just fascinated because I've never experienced life like that!)

I would love to see pictures too, but can understand if that weirds you out.

Glad all is well.

Just wondering... do people wear comfortable walking shoes on the street, and then change into heels or whatever when they get to where they are going?

FancyPants said...

Wow! Hi Narci! Talk about blast from the past. How are you? What are you doing these days?

KD,

Ha ha! Your question cracked me up for some reason. I guess because that's what I always saw in movies and looked for the same thing when I came here for the first time. Actually, most of the people I see walking around in business suits and stuff have on heeled shoes. Sometimes I see women walking in the most uncomfortable looking shoes ever. Those are probably the ones that take taxis everywhere or have drivers. But most of the girls that I see in auditions walk in with comfortable shoes (myself being one of them) (not one of the shoes but one of the people who prefer comfy shoes) and then change into heels for the audition.

I always notice people's shoes that are comfy and really cute at the same time. Gotta get me some of those.

Narci D said...

It has been a blast from the past and so much fun to read about everyone! Well, I live in Mckinney with my husband, Rob. After spending lots of time and effort on a BBA & MBA, I worked for the non-profit sector! Then, came the best gift, our son Jackson, so I am now staying home with him and own a small online custom boutique!! Feel free to step on over to my blog to catch up! http://dreffsdiaries.blogspot.com

I'll definitely bookmark you--So glad to find you!

Chaotic Hammer said...

I noticed several different people on the subway wearing comfortable-looking shoes that I'm guessing they replaced when they got to their destination. One particular guy was wearing a very sharp looking business suit, probably very expensive and top of the line, with some very odd-colored newfangled walking shoes, like the very expensive ones from Nike. Very mismatched to the rest of his suit, but he also had a bag with him that I'm betting contained his business shoes.