Saturday, March 29, 2008

Random Saturday Musings

I know I'm a little late in the game on this one, but I love hummus. I'm eating it constantly these days! I love it so much I have a little chant-like song I sing in my head when I eat it. It goes like this:

CHICK pea CHICK pea!
hummushummushummushummus
CHICK pea CHICK pea!
hummushummushummushummus
TAHINI!
Yeaaaaah TAHINI!

CHICK pea CHICK pea!
hummushummushummushummus...

And so forth and so on.

It's nice, huh?

Also, I said the word, "nifty," the other day, a word that's really fun to say, and this song from 5th grade popped into my head. Anyone ever sing this?

FIFty NIFty uNITEd states
From thirteen original COLonies.
FIFty NIFty stars in the flag
That billOW so beautifully in the breeze.

ALABAMA! ALASKA ARIZONA ARKANSAS!...

And all through the fifty states in alphabetical order, but I stop after Arkansas cuz I can't remember which ones are next. Are there even any states that start with a B? is what runs through my head. Then I drop it cuz that's way too much thinking for a reminiscent 5th grade song. The important thing is that when you sing it you must sing it with such gusto and excitement as when you were 11.

Then I was telling Seth it was hot in our apartment, so I opened the window (a real great thing about New York, you just open a window! Until July/ August. I hear it's unbearable and that's when you kick the window A/C into gear). And as I opened the window I remembered a song from 6th grade choir. Yeah, I was a choir nerd. Totally and absolutely and I'm proud of it.

All I remember is the last line:

It is HOT it is HOT it is very very HOT
AND YET I SHIVAH!

"Shiv-ah" being the pronunciation 6th graders sing for "shiver." It was a weird song.

I'm about to eat homemade oatmeal. Not homemade by me, of course, cuz I hardly ever cook anything. Homemade by my husband who has a kickA recipe for apple-cinnamon oatmeal. It's REALLY good. Then we're going for a walk in Central Park with our friend a block over. It's a GORGEOUS day here and I'll kill myself if I stay inside.

Have a fantastic day.

16 comments:

Meredith said...

Alabama
Alaska
American Samoa
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Guam
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Northern Marianas Islands
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Virgin Islands
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

FancyPants said...

American Samoa? Isn't that a Girl Scout Cookie?

I know that wasn't in the song.

Meredith said...

AMERICAN SAMOA??? How'd that get in there? Ha ha!!

Actually, I copied that list off a website! Ha Ha

American Samoa, priceless.

Anonymous said...

Having grown up in Israel... yeah... welcome to the hummus party. I'm a bit of a hummus snob, but I'm not as bad as my dad. But trust me, when you've had serious and amazing authentic hummus... nothing else will do.

Seth Ward said...

Man, tell me about it. I went to this Taboon place a week or two a go, and after I chowed on the humus there... I almost barf at the store-crappy humus.

FancyPants said...

Mer, I wondered about that. I was gonna be way impressed if you knew all the fifty nifty united states (and then some) in alphabetical order.

Cach, well well well, hummus snob. Don't like my song, now do you?

Seth, you don't like the hummus I buy!?!?

SandinaJ said...

Amber! I can't believe you don't remember the song!

Fifty nifty United States
From the 13 original colonies
Fifty nifty stars in the flag
that billow so beautifully in the breeze.

Shout 'em, spout 'em
Tell all about 'em
One by one 'til you've given a name to every state that's in the USA-ay
In the USA!

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, (DO DO DO)DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, (DO DO)IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, (DO DO DO) MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, (NEXT PART REALLY FAST) NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, oHIo (WITH THE CHEERLEADER HAND MOTION), OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TEXAS!!, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WyOOOOhming!

North, South, East, West (pointing to each direction as we sing them)

(whispering) In our cool, calm, collected opinion......(screaming) TEXAS IS THA BEST!!! of tha...

Fifty nifty United States
From the 13 original colonies
Fifty nifty stars in the flag
that billow so beautifully in the breeze.

Shout 'em, spout 'em
Tell all about 'em
One by one 'til you've given a name to every state that's in the USA-ay
In the USA!

Wow, that was fun singing all that in my head just now. LOL!

And this song:

"It is HOT it is HOT it is very very HOT
AND YET I SHIVAH!"

Is from that song that goes:

Texas weather sure turns quick!

But I don't remember all of it.

Now that I have set you straight, I'm going back to work!

FancyPants said...

Sandina! That is hilarious that you remember that whole song! I remember kids singing it in 5th grade and feeling bummed cuz I could never remember the order of the states. I guess cuz I was new that year, and maybe y'all learned it in, say, 3rd grade? I don't know. But that's awesome!

You know what else I remember? For some weird reason, I remember your birthday sign in 5th grade...ya know...how the teachers made every one a huge sign with his/her name on it, and we all signed it throughout the day. I remember your name and where the sign was and everything. Weird, huh? I didn't even know you then!

SandinaJ said...

It is funny the things we remember. I barely remember 8th grade, but I can remember 5th like it was yesterday. I forgot that you were new in 5th grade. I remember now because all the boys thought the "new girl" was cute. LOL Well, I know Zorka thought that because he sat behind me in Mrs. Cook's class.

We crammed a lot to learn that song in the 5th grade. I remember looking forward to 5th grade because I knew I'd be learning that song.

Professor Mojo said...

Mr. Lauren here again. Joe and I both have memories of singing this song in elementary school. And Texas IS the best of the ....

FancyPants said...

Sandina, what?! I didn't know that! Well, Tim Zorka was my first boyfriend. I bought him a collector's dollar coin for Christmas because he collected them. But that was pretty much the only time we talked during the whole time of going out. We didn't even talk on the phone! How weird is that. And I confess now, I think the only reason I went out with him is cuz he was what's his names best friend. Was his name Joe?

Mojo, Texas is the greatest of the states, I think. =-)

SandinaJ said...

Joe! LOL!! Every girl liked him...but Britney claimed him since 1st grade. He was so dreamy.

I saw Zorka about a year ago at a karaoke bar. That was weird.

FancyPants said...

Sandina, ewww.

TimmyZorka said...

LMAO!!! No kidding I mean, who still remembers elementary school. You sound a lil' bitter lil' lady ;) That's Great. I actually was looking my name up on google and came across this. Then I was like, I know those songs, and remember that coin. HAHA. HI Amber Evans.

TimmyZorka said...

Oh, and hi Sandi J.

This is for every guy to learn: "Women don't forget S**T, so tread lightly and be kind"...

What have you girls been up to?

TimmyZorka said...

Oh and Ms. Evans, I think I gave you a necklage with a pendant of some sort on it. I used to feel bad during gym, because it used to bang up against your chest. (it looked heavy) I thought it hurt you, but you were going to wear it anyway... Gotta Run, Business Calls...